Foreign students wishing to pursue academic studies and/or language training programs may apply for an F-1 visa. In order to be issued an F-1 visa, the student must be enrolled in a FULL-TIME “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program in a U.S. school / college / university that is approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Once the student is accepted by the US school, he must receive a Form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students). If the student is abroad, s/he then should take the USCIS Form I-20 to the nearest U.S. consulate to obtain a student visa. If the student is already in the U.S. legally, s/he can file an Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status to the USCIS, to obtain an F-1 status.

Note: The following is basic information regarding the types of visas available. It is in no way to be construed as legal advice. For further information you are encouraged to contact The Fogle Law Firm, LLC for a consultation or appointment so we can provide you with the appropriate solution for your particular case and assist you in achieving your goals.