The demographics of Immigration clearly show what we’ve always known. That the United States of America was quite literally built on immigration.
However, current US immigration rules and laws are highly complex and are often quite tricky to figure out and there is a lot of complicated bureaucracy that might make things all the more complicated.
When you really think about it, it is really impossible to ignore the weight and influence that immigration has had throughout the course of US history. Whether they came to America to escape persecution and war in their native country, or simply moved to the States to pursue better opportunities for themselves and their family, many people set out to leave their homelands behind and move to the United States of America.
Today, about 13% of people residing in the country were actually born somewhere else. That’s a whopping 42 million foreign-born US residents! The number gets more interesting as you dig deeper and start to understand more about the demographics of these 42 million immigrants. 18 million of them are actually naturalized citizens, while 13 million are documented individuals with a non-citizen status.
There are approximately 11 million immigrants in the country who are undocumented and entered the country illegally. Who actually are these undocumented immigrants? 48% of them come from Asia, Central America, and sub-Saharan Africa. The remaining 52% of them actually come from Mexico, the southern neighbor of the USA. All of these undocumented immigrants are not actually distributed evenly throughout the United States. Instead, there seem to be various areas with stronger numbers of undocumented immigrants. 59% of the total population of undocumented immigrants in the USA is actually based in California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey and Illinois.That’s over 6 million people spread across those states.
Particularly under President Trump’s new executive order, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are making many more arrests than under the Obama. Under the first several months of the Trump Administrations, over 41,000 people have already been arrested and detained across the country to date.
Many undocumented immigrants live under the constant threat of being identified by immigration authorities and risk being deported without even having a chance to say goodbye to their own families and friends. This is the reason why many local administrations, including the city of Los Angeles, are not too happy to assist the federal authorities with breaking up families and damaging the social fabric of their immigrant communities. Representatives from local police agencies stated that ICE activities cause panic within immigrant communities, deteriorating the relationship between the public and law enforcement authorities, therefore potentially threatening the safety of such communities.
Thankfully, there are many organizations and law firms who set out to specialize in immigration law and help immigrants. Los Angeles Immigration law specialists at “The Fogle Law Firm” can assist people with any immigration matter—particularly complex deportation/removal cases. Founder Glenn Fogle confirmed that the firm stands for the immigrant community, firmly believing that immigrants are essential to the continued success of U.S. and the vast majority of them are clearly not the criminals, rapists, and gang bangers as this administration is trying to portray them. Instead, immigrants bring many benefits to the country, including cultural diversity, skilled workmanship and more.
Find out more and feel free to get in touch for further details or information
National Immigrant Justice Center– http://www.immigrantjustice.org/
Pew Research Center– http://www.pewresearch.org/
Center for American Progress — https://www.americanprogress.org/